Contributing to Parquet
We prefer to receive contributions in the form of GitHub pull requests. Please send pull requests against the github.com/apache/parquet-mr repository. If you’ve previously forked Parquet from its old location, you will need to add a remote or update your origin remote to https://github.com/apache/incubator-parquet-mr.git Here are a few tips to get your contribution in:
- Break your work into small, single-purpose patches if possible. It’s much harder to merge in a large change with a lot of disjoint features.
- Create a JIRA for your patch on the Parquet Project JIRA.
- Submit the patch as a GitHub pull request against the master branch. For a tutorial, see the GitHub guides on forking a repo and sending a pull request. Prefix your pull request name with the JIRA name (ex: https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/5).
- Make sure that your code passes the unit tests. You can run the tests with
mvn testin the root directory.
- Add new unit tests for your code.
- All Pull Requests are tested automatically on GitHub Actions. TravisCI is also used to run the tests on ARM64 CPU architecture
Merging a pull request requires being a comitter on the project.
How to merge a Pull request (have an apache and github-apache remote setup):
git remote add github-apache firstname.lastname@example.org:apache/parquet-mr.git git remote add apache https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=parquet-mr.git
run the following command
Which pull request would you like to merge? (e.g. 34):
Type the pull request number (from https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pulls) and hit enter.
=== Pull Request #X === title Blah Blah Blah source repo/branch target master url https://api.github.com/repos/apache/parquet-mr/pulls/X Proceed with merging pull request #3? (y/n):
If this looks good, type
y and hit enter.
From gitbox.apache.org:/repos/asf/parquet-mr.git * [new branch] master -> PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_3_MASTER Switched to branch 'PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_3_MASTER' Merge complete (local ref PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_3_MASTER). Push to apache? (y/n):
A local branch with the merge has been created. Type
y and hit enter to push it to apache master
Counting objects: 67, done. Delta compression using up to 4 threads. Compressing objects: 100% (26/26), done. Writing objects: 100% (36/36), 5.32 KiB, done. Total 36 (delta 17), reused 0 (delta 0) To gitbox.apache.org:/repos/asf/parquet-mr.git b767ac4..485658a PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_X_MASTER -> master Restoring head pointer to b767ac4e Note: checking out 'b767ac4e'. You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout. If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example: git checkout -b new_branch_name HEAD is now at b767ac4... Update README.md Deleting local branch PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_X Deleting local branch PR_TOOL_MERGE_PR_X_MASTER Pull request #X merged! Merge hash: 485658a5 Would you like to pick 485658a5 into another branch? (y/n):
For now just say
n as we have 1 branch